Rapala Titanium Braid

Rapala Titanium Braid

Postby Chops on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:12 am

Rapala Titanium Braid

After using afew different braid is was recommended to give this one a crack so i purchased some gotta say from start its not the cheapest braid on the market RRP is around the $65 for a 130m Spool but i have to say i got this braid spooled onto my trinty reel in 8lb. Now i thought braid was braid but this stuff really surprised me i have used in on afew occasions flicking plastics and hardbodies and firstly i must say the way this stuff peels off the reel is amazing. I would say that the casting distance i have gained from this would be around another 25% i find it better to use for the fisihng i do as i dont have to try as hard to get distance now especially in some snaggy areas i have fished where getting your cast right can mean losing a lure or hitting the strike zone. So i can concentrate more on getting the lure in the spot i want and not being worried about making the distance which i love, the other feature i love is that it cuts through the water so good and it does float but after trying some plastics out in some deeper water it really cut through the water coloum very well and i could feel everything. The other thing is its so thin i have 8lb and its 0.078mm thick so you can get alot more line capacity especially on those smaller reels. The thing you have to remember though is that braid will last about 3 to 5 years on your spool depending of course on how often u fish and how much you lose but i would recommend it for ya light gear good for bream, salmon, pinkies, squid well anything really, you can get it it various colours BlueGreyRed Give it a crack!
Attachments
rapala.jpg
rapala.jpg (8.67 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
Chops
Marlin

Re: Rapala Titanium Braid

Postby Gasset on Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:38 am

Great review Chops. Sounds like great line.
ImageImageImage
A man came home and was greeted by his wife dressed in a sexy nightie. "Tie me up she said and you can do anything you want." So he tied her up and went fishing
Gasset
Site Labourer

Postby bindi on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:17 pm

I wish I shared the same experience, I rigged up my brand new shimano 6000d baitrunner with titanium braid stuck it on my T Curve this weekend and headed out fishing. It was like i had barb wire on my spool, with resistance both on spooling and retrieve, felt awful and i've already taken it back off, so for me was $49 wasted. (forwn)

I'd be really interested to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience?

I've emailed Rapala to see if they are aware of any faulty batches, as it seems odd that one lot can be so good and one so bad?
bindi
Noobie

Postby firecat on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:50 pm

To Bindi.

T Curve or not and 6500 is a banger reel but I'm only suggesting here that you may have a 'fine crack' in the 'tip guide' or a slight deformation in the bail arm roller or maybe it's fouled and not turning smoothly....Good gear still has the occasional blemish.

I'm all for your set up but it seems that the line is fine but the appliance may be at fault.

Won't hurt to check aye.??

And Tony..."Great Review".....And you know this review is here for ever ;)

Regards Steve
"You can win"
"Just follow my post".'Off the water'.

'5.9 custom Markham Whaler'
http://www.essenjaysigns.com.au
http://www.fibreglassboatrepairs.com.au
firecat
Marlin

Postby Chops on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:21 pm

Gotta say afew years on and i am still loving this braid infact i still have it spooled on the same reel and have caught many many many squid, salmon etc on it although the blue is a little faded still performing the same as the first day i used it!!!
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
Chops
Marlin

Postby RedRocket on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi Bindi,

I have titanium on a spin reel and I love it. The problem comes with the fact that braid aint braid.

Titanium is a fused braid, like fire line, stern microfuse ect, ect, as opposed the "true" braids like fins , sensor, harro's.

The fused lines are much stiffer and springier that true braids. When fishing with small reels, 1000- 2500, and light lines 4-8 lb this springiness helps eliminate tangles. Once u go over 8lb I avoid fused lines like the plague. The term fencing wire comes to mind and Im not sure why they even make it. (ouch) (ouch)

On a reel like 6500 BR I would use finns. For the price it is unbeatable, I have used it on spin reels and baitcasters in 20, 30 and 50lb and never had a problem with it.
Yep.... Im on
RedRocket
Gumbo

Postby bindi on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:09 pm

firecat wrote:To Bindi.

T Curve or not and 6500 is a banger reel but I'm only suggesting here that you may have a 'fine crack' in the 'tip guide' or a slight deformation in the bail arm roller or maybe it's fouled and not turning smoothly....Good gear still has the occasional blemish.

I'm all for your set up but it seems that the line is fine but the appliance may be at fault.

Won't hurt to check aye.??

And Tony..."Great Review".....And you know this review is here for ever ;)

Regards Steve

Good things to check Steve, so I gave them a real good look over (both were brand new) and couldn't find any flaws. Went out last weekend with 10kg mono and it was smooth as silk, but obviously lacking that 'braid' sensitivity.

Sad thing is I've not even heard a squealk back from rapala following my email to them 2 weeks ago, so rapala will be added to the BAD board at the fishing club and i'll go for a different brand.
bindi
Noobie

Return to Product Reviews